Hellooo! How are y’all doing? Getting back into your everyday schedule after Hanukah?This past Hanukah I was craving a warm cidery/wassail thingamabob, you know when its cold outside something warm and spicy always hits the spot. I wanted to make a cranberry wassail but we didn’t have any cranberries, so I threw a couple things together with stuff I had on hand and it turn out really good it has a perfect tart/sweet cinnamony flavor! I love it so much that I’ve made it about five times this past week and may or may not have drank it all by myself, but that’s are little secrete ‘kay? This is cider tea is super easy to make and so so so comforting annnnd is really really good for you!
This is a really great drink to be sipping on all day to help boost your immune system and help prevent or fight off colds, flues and all those winter blahs! On a personal side note this past Hanukah my whole family caught the flue, I mean EVERYBODY (all my sibs, Parents,Cousins Grandparents etc’ it was awful), but what was miracle of miracles is that I didn’t catch it and to give you a little background I have the weakest immune system ever, I usually catch everything. It was a total miracle but I was thinking of anything I did different this time then other time when some bug was going around, and it downed to me that I drank a liter of Red Raspberry leaf tea everyday and I was drinking lots of this cider. Maybe that’s what helped me this past time, I’m not claiming this will keep the Flu away but it sure can help. Here’s why its so great for your body:
- Cloves- One of the most highest antioxidant spices, eases and prevents cold and flu, source of minerals especially maganese there antiseptic,antibacterial and antifangul (pretty much anti bad stuff!).
- Cinnamon- Helps control blood sugar, treat cold,cough and sore throat, fights viruses, an antioxidant,anti-inflammatory and lowers bad cholesterol.
- Star Anise-boosts immune system, aids digestion, antioxidant, helps with dry cough asthma and bronchitis.
- Chamomile- Anti cancer, improves digestion, good for thore throats, relieves congestion and good for heart health.
- Red Raspberry Leaf Tea- Helps with colds and flu, High in vitamin C, High in minerals and calcium and helps soothe a thore throat.
- Orange- since you have a whole orange in here your getting the benefits of the peel, the peel actually contains more vitamin c and antioxidants then the flesh!The peel is high in vitamin c, improves digestion, it also contains considerable amounts of calcium, copper, magnesium, vitamin A, folate and other B vitamins and dietary fiber, lots of antioxidant,is anti cancer and is good for heart health!
- One Orange*
- Two Cinnamon Sticks
- Eight Whole Clove Buds
- Ten Star Anise
- One Black Tea Bag
- A Tablespoon and a Half Dried Chamomile Flowers
- A Tablespoon and a Half Dried Red Raspberry Leaf Tea
- Three Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar*
- 1/4-1/3 teaspoon Stevia (Depends on how sweet you like your tea)
- Take Your Orange and poke the two cinnamon sticks and eight Cloves in it, now put your orange in a two liter size pot (about a 2 quart size pot) along with the rest of the ingredients except the loose tea(chamomile and raspberry leaf).
- Take the loose tea and put in a tea infuser/strainer, and put it in the pot as well.
- Fill the pot up with water and put it on your stove top until it boils then put it on your smallest burner on the lowest heat let it simmer for at least thirty minutes before trying to really get all the flavors, taste and perfect the tart/sweet balance to your taste buds, and Enjoy!
- This is probably the first time you’ll hear this but its the best to use an oldish orange that has a thin peel for this recipe because it makes pocking the clove buds in it a lot easier:). Any old orange will work but ones with a thicker peel are harder.
- Don’t waist your raw ACV in this since it will be getting heated up and that will ruin all the rawness. You can even substitute with the juice from a whole lemon instead of the ACV.
- Don’t let this simmer ALL DAY LONG, since by evening you’ll just have a strong concentrate.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!